Sunday, June 28, 2015

Jensen in great grandfather's hat (image post)

I feel like time imbues objects with meaning and value.  I don't know why, I just feel like it does.

On long timescales that is undeniably true.

Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless.
-Belloq


Belloq was evil, but he was also insightful.

On shorter timescales the proposition is harder to support.

But, anyway, when my grandparents stuff was being sorted into person A keeps, person B keeps, we have a deathmatch to decide who keeps it, and throw out, I ended up taking various things that no one wanted.  Including a hat.

This hat:








Alas, the hat could not stay on forever:


But he picked it up:


And put it back on:




And the thing that makes this all not just random pictures of a cute kid in an old hat (not that there's anything wrong with a cute kid in an old hat) is this:


Robert Syska was my mother's father, thus Jensen's great grandfather.

-

Jensen saw the hat, which I had forgotten about entirely, and decided to put it on all on his own.

4 comments:

  1. Cool family heritage stuff, but really...

    OMG OMG TEH KYOOOTES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to squeeze him!

    Also I envy his rad overalls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Robert Syska from Long Island. My dad was Robert also, born from William Syska 1937. I am 1962
    ligindoor2gmail.com

    ReplyDelete